As America progresses toward a more socially aware society, people are increasingly open to the idea of using cannabis for reasons other than recreation. In fact, in 2014, the state of Illinois legalized the use of cannabidiol (CBD) oil for medical purposes. And right now, medical marijuana has been legalized in 30 states, the most recent one being Oklahoma.
At Progressive Herb, we study the benefits of CBD for people with different types of physical and mental health conditions. In addition to providing relief from certain physical ailments, such as chronic pain and insomnia, it can actually reduce anxiety levels — without the high of recreational marijuana.
CBD Doesn’t Have the Mind-Altering Effects of Marijuana
The CBD industry is fairly new. Nevertheless, it has gotten a lot of buzz over the last few years. As more states legalize marijuana, medical researchers look deeper into the possible effects of cannabis extract.
Early research already suggests that CBD oil may help relieve symptoms of anxiety. It is rich in cannabinoid, a chemical found in marijuana or hemp plants. It is different from tetrahydrocannabinol, though, which is another type of cannabinoid commonly associated with feelings of intoxication.
In other words, CBD oil differs from other cannabis products in that it doesn’t get you high. It helps you relax and relieves your anxiety without any mind-altering effects.
CBD Oil May Contribute to Anxiety Management
Cannabis is a popular recreational drug that aids in relaxation. But, it can also be an alternative treatment for anxiety. Preliminary research about the medicinal benefits of CBD shows promising results suggesting that it could have an anti-anxiety effect. These results come from various studies over the years.
- A 2010 study suggests that cannabidiol reduces the symptoms of social anxiety disorder. Brain scans of the participants showed a change in blood flow that, in turn, reduced feelings of anxiety.
- A 2011 study shows that cannabidiol can potentially reduce the effects of social anxiety. This study looked into the behavior of people with public speaking-related anxiety.
- A 2014 research notes anti-anxiety and antidepressant effects of CBD oil in an animal subject.
- A 2015 analysis of previous studies about CBD shows its potential as a short-term treatment of different types of anxiety, such as social anxiety disorder and generalized anxiety disorder.
- A 2016 case study of a female child with a history of trauma records that cannabidiol reduced her anxiety and sleeping problems. It points to CBD oil’s potential to reduce the symptoms of PTSD and anxiety-related sleep disorder.
Given these pieces of evidence of CBD oil’s contribution to anxiety management, more people are considering it as an alternative treatment for their mental health condition.
Be Careful of the CBD Oil You Purchase
CBD oil comes in various states for medical purposes. Nevertheless, you still have to be aware of the proper way to use it. So, be sure to consult with your doctor about the potential side effects and benefits of taking cannabidiol supplements.
Once your doctor gives you the green light, feel free to check out our shop for your preferred CBD product.